Thursday, August 11, 2011

Art, Craft, and Technology; the conceptual question?

I have an interest in the relationship between art and technology, especially within the "craft" mediums. Although there has been much debate over the questions of tradition vs innovation, mostly in terms of material and process, what I don't see being pinned-down is the conceptual implications of technology really being considered in a comparable light to the traditional relationships concept and art-craft have explored. It seams that technologies such as CAD, rapid prototyping, and alt materials have become all the rage, but why? What beyond the superior production capabilities, wonderment, and ease is the reason tech is being so embraced? Believe me, I am not an ardent traditionalist, I want to believe in the power of technology to be a significant consideration in placing art in context with contemporary society, but I just can't quite put my finger on the reason behind the reasons we are embracing it so extensively. There has to be sophisticated implication, what are yur thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment